What is Bariatric Surgery?
Bariatric surgery more commonly known as weight loss surgery is a procedure to reduce excessive body weight, for individuals dealing with Obesity.
How is Bariatric Surgery Helpful?
Fat loss surgery achieves significant weight loss by 3 ways.
- Limiting the food intake
- Limiting the re-absorption
- Causing hormonal changes
Types of Bariatric Surgery
A. Lap Band
A silicone band is wrapped around the upper portion of the stomach to create a smaller pouch at the top. Only this portion holds the food after surgery and the person feels satisfied with a small portion.
B. Gastric Band
The stomach is resized and then attached to the rerouted intestine. It ensures much lesser food consumption and lesser re-absorption of nutrients back into the body.
C. Gastric Sleeve
The stomach is reduced vertically by almost 60-70 percent. This thinner tube-like stomach pouch holds the food and makes the person full with smaller food portion.
How Effective is Bariatric Surgery?
The effectiveness of bariatric surgery is quite high and helps to attain significant weight loss. If the post-surgery guidelines are followed, it stays effective for a lifetime.
Who Qualifies for Bariatric Surgery?
- People with BMI 40 or above.
- People with BMI 35 or above with associated complications.
- People with BMI 30 or above who failed to lose weight otherwise.
Benefits of Bariatric Surgery
- Long-term and significant weight loss.
- Resolution or improvement of obesity-related health conditions.
- Increased life expectancy.
- Enhanced self-esteem and confidence.
What is Laparoscopic Obesity Surgery?
Laparoscopic obesity surgery is an advanced surgical procedure that uses minimally invasive technique to carry out weight loss surgery.
Benefits of Laparoscopic Obesity Surgery
- Fewer complications during surgery.
- Fewer complications after surgery.
- Better aesthetics.
- Faster recovery and quicker resume.
Post-Bariatric Surgery Guidelines
- Regular physical exercise
- Dietary changes
Role of ILS Bariatric Care in Providing Effective Bariatric Surgery in Kolkata
ILS Bariatric Care has been awarded with the prestigious title of “Center of Excellence” by SRC and OSSI. It offers laparoscopic obesity surgery for patients suffering from long-term obesity and its associated illnesses.